Believe it or not, there are 500 dog breeds around the world
Most of these dog breeds are only known in their own country or region. Some dogs are perfect companion dogs, others as sheepdogs, sled dogs or rescue dogs. Let’s find out which are the most popular breeds and maybe you will find your new four-legged friend.
The Most Popular Dogs
1. Labrador Retriever
The first thing we can mention about Labrador Retrievers is that they are warm and smart dogs. Also, they are happy and sociable; those are characteristics that will immediately steal your heart.
2. German Shepherd
This is the perfect dog breed for those that need a loyal partner and a hard working dog. They have a balanced temperament. German Shepherds take their tasks very seriously.
The Beagle is a sweet, warm, sensitive, and playful dog. It is the perfect pet dog for children. Keep in mind that it is not mainly a companion dog, but its natural instincts are those of a hunting dog.
4. Yorkshire Terrier
The Yorkshire Terrier is a companion dog suitable for apartments and a favorite choice for elders and families. The Yorkshire enjoys to cuddle up in its owner’s arms or couch. It is an active and playful dog, but it does not really like long walks.
The Boxer is one of the most playful dog breeds. For this reason it is the perfect dog for children. It can adapt to any family.
The Poodle is known for being one of the smartest breeds in the world. The Poodle is a fast learner, cheerful, active, sociable and kind dog. It is extremely loyal and warm, always willing to please its owner; that is why they are easy to train.
7. Siberian Husky
As all northern dog breeds, the Siberian Husky has a special temperament, it is a sensitive and smart dog, but a little stubborn. The Siberian Husky is also docile and loving with its owner.
This is a very smart and cheerful dog breed that can easily remember everything, one of the main reasons the Chihuahua is easy to train. It is a very adaptable dog that can be taken anywhere because of its small size.
Because of their aspect many people are afraid of this wonderful dog breed. The Dobermann is actually one of the sweetest and warmest dogs that can exist. If you own one, its presence will fill your days with joy and companionship.
10. English Bulldog
Bulldogs have a peaceful temperament despite originally being raised for the bull-baiting (a blood sport with bulls and dogs). They are patient and tolerant with everybody: children, strangers and other dogs. However they could develop a strong temperament, especially with other male dogs.
Dogs: The Smartest Dog Breeds According to Stanley Coren
Which are the smartest dog breeds? Author Stanley Coren has made a comprehensive list of dogs ranked by intelligence. Dogs intelligence has been a matter of debate for years. Coren’s list of dog’s intelligence goes beyond a simple objective observation, he elaborates a detailed classification of the smartest dog breeds according to different aspects.
Stanley Coren is a professor of canine psychology at the University of British Columbia. He studied dogs’ mental abilities for years. He became famous when he published the book The Intelligence of Dogs, a best-seller translated to 26 different languages.
Coren defines different aspects of a dog’s intelligence based on the dog’s ability to learn and execute commands, perform tasks and solve problems.
At the top we can find the Border Collie, a herding dog, used to guide sheep usually by its own, this task contributed to this breed’s ability to solve problems.
Herding dogs require coordination with the herder and other dogs; the Border Collie has developed intuition and an ability to immediately understand signals and commands.
Among the first places we can find the Poodle and the German Shepherd. The complete list in order of intelligence is:
- Border Collie
- German Shepherd
- Golden Retriever
- Shetland Shepherd
- Labrador Retriever
- Australian Shepherd
- Welsh Corgi Pembroke
- Miniature Schnauzer
- English Springer Spaniel
- Belgian Shepherd
- Collie and Keeshond
- German Shorthaired Pointer
- Flat-coated Retriever and English Cocker Spaniel
- American Cocker Spaniel
- Belgian Malinois and Bernese Mountain Dog
- Pomeranian Dog
- Irish Water Spaniel
- Cardigan Welsh Corgi
- Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Puli Dog and Yorkshire Terrier
- Giant Schnauzer and Portuguese Water Dog
- Border Terrier and Briard
- Welsh Springer Spaniel
- Manchester Terrier
- Samoyed Dog
- Field Spaniel, Newfoundland Dog, Australian Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Gordon Setter and Bearded Collie
- Cairn Terrier, Kerry Blue Terrier and Irish Setter
- Norwegian Elkhound
- Affenpinscher, Australian Silky Terrier, Miniature Pinscher, English Setter, Pharaoh Hound and Clumber Spaniel
- Norwich Terrier
- Soft-coated Wheaten Terrier, Bedlington Terrier and Fox Terrier
- Curly-coated Retriever and Irish Wolfhound
- Saluki, Finnish Spitz and Pointer
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, German Wirehaired Pointer, Black and Tan Coonhound and American Water Spaniel
- Siberian Husky and Bichon Frise
- Tibetan Spaniel, English Foxhound, Otterhound, American Foxhound, Greyhound and some Griffons
- West Highland White Terrier and Scottish Deerhound
- Boxer and Great Dane
- Dachshund and Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- Alaskan Malamute
- Whippet and Shar Pei
- Rhodesian Ridgeback
- Ibizan Hound, Welsh Terrier and Irish Terrier
- Boston Terrier and Akita
- Skye Terrier
- Norfolk Terrier and Sealyham Terrier
- French Bulldog
- Belgian Griffon and Maltese Dog
- Italian Greyhound
- Chinese Crested Dog
- Dandie Dinmont Terrier, Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen, Tibetan Terrier, Japanese Chin and Lakeland Terrier
- Old English Sheepdog
- Pyrenean Sheepdog
- Scottish Terrier and St. Bernard Dog
- Bull Terrier
- Lhasa Apso
- Shih Tzu
- Basset Hound
- Some Mastiffs and Beagle
- Chow Chow
- Afghan Hound
If you have fallen in love with one of the dogs in this article, you can go and find your new four-legged friend, who is certainly waiting for you.
You may be interested in reading another article related to the curiosities of our friends such as:
- The Best Guard Dogs
- The Biggest Dogs in the World
- The Most Expensive Dogs in the World
- The Cutest Dogs in the World
- Dog Names
- Small Dogs
- How Long Do Dogs Live?
- Dog Diseases